Written by Dr. Bela Dhillon
The primary philosophy at Viviktha is to provide guidance and support to children so that they can thrive fully at the level of their mind and body. A healthy body and a healthy mind are essential for children to learn at their best with full focus and concentration. This also helps children to learn with ease. When such a supportive environment is provided to a child, she can be more flexible and open to accept and receive various ideas from experts in any field she is interested in pursuing, whether it be in academics or sports or arts/crafts.
To achieve this level of healthy, relaxed and flexible mind and body, various aspects need to be balanced in a child’s life. We can think of these aspects like stones. Balancing these stones like a ‘cairn’ will most certainly produce the end result we are aiming for. If these stones are not balanced, the children cannot show their full potential in the field of their interest. At Viviktha, this thriving environment will be provided to all children without any discrimination.
The aspects (like stones of cairn) which need to be balanced for a healthy body and mind are:
- Reaching one’s inner guidance by going within (“Discover You”).
- Environment: peaceful, serene, green, clean, loving. thriving and nurturing.
- Nutrition: healthy food and drinks, locally farm-raised natural/organic foods.
- Sleep/rest: 8 hours of nightly sleep with afternoon nap time for integration of all the lessons learned.
- Exercise/Yoga/Pranayama: daily regimen to help make mind and body flexible and open.
- Body massage/Acupressure: on a weekly basis to help body relax and heal.
- Sports/play: daily regimen to add enjoyment and team spirit with co-operation rather than competition.
- Excretion and detox: to remove toxins in the body at regular intervals.
- Emotional and relationship health: mind and thought training is a vital aspect along with extracurricular activities. This is accomplished by mind-training course which is based on changing one’s thoughts to change perceptions about life situations and relationships.
- Hobbies and creativity: daily participation in extracurricular activities helps in mental and emotional health.
- New experiences/excursions: weekly excursions to new places help to open minds. Experiential learning is the way of learning.
- Listening to uplifting music to help in better focus and concentration.
- Listening to inspirational speakers for motivation.
- Watching inspirational and funny video content for motivation and emotional health. Laughter yoga exercises in between the class periods.
- Reading literature of great authors from all over the world to broaden outlook.
- Writing in any form (prose, poetry, journal-writing, story-writing or blog).
All the above stones are held together by 3 important glues in the forms of love, gratitude and service.
Love: Love is what makes the world go around. Love is the best medicine. As mother Teresa said, ”There is a net of love by which you can catch souls.” At Viviktha all will “Let Love Lead” in all aspects of life.
Gratitude: Attitude of gratitude goes a long way. Every student at Viviktha is encouraged to write daily in their gratitude journal. Oprah Winfrey says, “Be thankful for what you have; you’ll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don’t have, you will never, ever have enough.”
Service: It has been seen that students benefit greatly, both academically and emotionally from volunteering their time to make the community and world a better place. A local nearby village is adopted by Viviktha where every student is encouraged to participate in community service on a monthly basis. Also, children will help in herb and vegetable gardening, cooking and cleaning, on a regular basis.